Energy Assistance Program

Service Area

The Energy Assistance, Crisis, and Energy Related Repair Programs are available to eligible clients in the seven (7) Minnesota counties of Clay, Douglas, Grant, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin, and is administered by staff of West Central Minnesota Communities Action, Inc. through its offices in Alexandria, Elbow Lake, and Moorhead, Minnesota.

Alexandria Site

The Alexandria Office is now closed.  Please contact the Elbow Lake office for any help.

Please note our new location!
We have moved to the United Way Building in Alexandria
(previously the old bowling alley Garden Center building)

503 Hawthorne Street, Suite 131
Alexandria MN 56308
Phone: 320-304-0369

Moorhead Site

The Moorhead office is closed for the season.  Please contact the Elbow Lake office for any help.

715 11th Street N.  Suite 100
Moorhead, MN 56560
Phone: 218-477-0298
Fax: 218-291-5796

Elbow Lake – Main Office Site

The Elbow Lake office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the address and phone numbers below.  Walk-ins are welcome at all of the offices.

Please return completed Energy Assistance Applications to the Elbow Lake office.
WCMCA, Inc. office address is:

Energy Assistance Program
411 Industrial Park Boulevard
Elbow Lake, MN 56531

Phone: 218-685-4486
Toll-free: 800-492-4805
Fax: 218-685-6742

The Energy Assistance Program

A program that is designed to assist income eligible households with the cost of energy/heating their homes.


  • Assistance amounts are determined by the number of people that live in the home, the type of fuel used, the cost for the previous year, and the income the household has received in three (3) previous months to when application is submitted.
  • The assistance is provided directly to the fuel supplier.


  • The program is available to homeowners and renters.
  • Eligible households for Energy Assistance are also eligible for the Weatherization Program upon request.
  • To be eligible, applicants must be vulnerable to increases in home heating energy costs.
  • Any Minnesota resident may apply for the program.
  • Applications are available by mail, or from offices located in Alexandria, Moorhead, or Elbow Lake.
  • Households also have the opportunity to register to vote.


Eligibility guidelines are revised yearly. Following are the income guidelines for the 2015-2016 Energy Assistance Program year from October 1, 2015, through July 1, 2016. You may request applications through that date.

If you sign application in:Send proof of gross income received in the months of:For EAP, your household income cannot be more than these income guidelines for three (3) months:
Aug 2015May, June, July 2015Household SizeIncome
Sept 2015June, July, Aug 20151$5,987
Oct 2015July, Aug, Sept 20152$7,829
Nov 2015Aug, Sept, Oct 20153$9,671
Dec 2015Sept, Oct, Nov 20154$11,514
Jan 2016Oct, Nov, Dec 20155$13,356
Feb 2016Nov, Dec 2014, Jan 20166$15,198
Mar 2016Dec 2014, Jan, Feb 20167$15,543
Apr 2016Jan, Feb, Mar 20168$15,889
May 2016Feb, Mar, Apr 20169$16,234
June 2016Mar, Apr, May 201610$16,579


Click the links above or contact WCMCA at 218-685-4486 or 800-492-4805.

Please return completed Energy Assistance Applications to the Elbow Lake office.
WCMCA, Inc. office address is:

Energy Assistance Program
411 Industrial Park Boulevard
Elbow Lake, MN 56531

Phone: 218-685-4486
Toll-free: 800-492-4805
Fax: 218-685-6742

Reach out for Warmth Program

Reach out for Warmth Program is funded by donations from private individuals or companies. To be eligible a household could have income at or below the 60% of State Median income for the past three (3) months:

Maximum income for three (3) months
Household SizeIncome

Please contact the Energy Assistance Department for application information.

Crisis Program

Households that are eligible for the Energy Assistance Program and have used all their original grants may call for assistance with this program.

Energy Related Repair Program

  • A program for homeowners who are eligible for the Energy Assistance Program that addresses safety or no heat problems due to malfunctioning or non-functioning heating systems.
  • Call our agency for assistance in applying: Allison – Ext. 7003.

Applications are available during the program year by calling: 800-492-4805 or 218-685-4486.

Home visits may be requested for the homebound.

Minnesota Energy Programs Information and Applications

In-Home Modification Program

This service is intended to make minor modifications of living space to prevent injury, promote safety and health of older persons, to assist them in remaining independent in their homes. It is available to eligible older household members in the following nine Minnesota counties: Clay, Becker, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse, and Wilkin.

Who May Receive These Services?

  • Household members 60 years of age or older who need modifications to remain safely and independently in their home

What Modifications Are Included In These Services?

Minor home modifications may include, but are not limited to, such items as:

  • Repairs/renovations to alleviate medical conditions (i.e., air conditioner installation for asthma patients, etc., with doctor’s prescription)
  • Purchase and installation of grab bars, shower chairs, raised toilet seats
  • Faucet and door levers
  • Smoke detectors
  • Installation of medical alert devices
  • Water heater repair
  • Other – call for more information

Where Does the Money Come From?

This project is funded under contract with Land of the Dancing Sky Area Agency on Aging as part of the Title III Older Americans Act Program.

How Can These Funds Be Accessed?

Contact Megan at West Central Minnesota Communities Action, Inc. at 218-685-4486 or toll-free at 800-492-4805, or the Community Action Agency, public health or social service agency, tribal service agency, energy related repair or energy assistance program, or other programs that interact with frail and elderly clients in your local community.